The Medicare Benefits Schedule (MBS or the Schedule) together with the Diagnostic Imaging Service Table (a tabular list of Medicare-subsidised diagnostic imaging services) provides up-to-date information about the current arrangements for the payment of Medicare benefits under the Health Insurance Act 1973.
The MBS is an up-to-date record of Medicare subsidised items and the conditions of their use including:
- Medicare Benefit Schedule fee (the $ fee set by government). Note, diagnostic imaging providers are entitled to set their own fees. Therefore the actual fee charged may be different to the Schedule fee.
- Medicare benefit (the $ amount that you can expect to get back from Medicare)
- description of the service
- provider requirements (if any)
- referral requirements (if any).
Medicare diagnostic imaging item categories
|TECHNOLOGY||Category 5||MBS Item numbers|
|Computed Tomography (CT)||Group 12||56001-57361|
|Diagnostic radiology (including x-ray)||Group 13||57506-61110|
|Nuclear medicine (including PET)||Group 14||61302-61729|
|MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging)||Group 15||63001-63523|
|Management of bulk-billed services||Group 16||64990-64991|
For more information see MBS Online.