Australian Privacy Principle 5 Notification
The Australian Government Department of Health (the Department) is bound by the Privacy Act 1988
and the Australian Privacy Principles (APPs).
The Department is collecting personal information that you provide in the relevant Form for the purposes of assessing the application or processing the notification (as the case may be). The collection of the personal information is authorised under the National Health Act 1953
(Cth) and delegated legislation under that Act.
If you do not provide the personal information requested in the relevant Form, the Department may not be able to assess the application or process the notification (as the case may be).
If necessary for the purposes of administering the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme (PBS) or if required or authorised by law, the Department may disclose the personal information to other organisations and government departments including:
- the Australian Government Department of Human Services;
- the Australian Community Pharmacy Authority; and
- contracted service providers who
- deliver PBS programs and services, or
- undertake activities related to analysis of data and/or Government reporting.
The Department is unlikely to disclose the personal information to overseas recipients.
If you disclose other people’s personal information to this Department (for example, if you are an authorised representative of the applicant(s) and are lodging the application on their behalf; or if you are the applicant who is a registered medical practitioner and, in applying to supply pharmaceutical benefits, you provide personal information about the practitioner you are replacing or for whom you are providing locum medical services), in disclosing that personal information to the Department, you undertake that those other people have:
- consented to the Department collecting and using their personal information for the purposes set out in this notice; and
- read and understood this privacy notice.
- how you may access the personal information the Department holds about you and how you can seek correction of it;
- how you may complain about a breach of
- the APPs; or
- a registered APP code that binds the Department; and
- how the Department will deal with such a complaint.
The Department of Health can be contacted by: